How to Prepare for Move In Day at EMU

Move-in day can be very hectic, especially if you are a first year student. However, at Eastern Michigan University, we have an excellent team consisting of students, housing staff members, and student organizations that are here to make “move in magic” happen. Here are some tips that will help you move into your residence hall with ease.

What day am I supposed to move in?

  • First year students move in on Friday, August 30, 2019, 9 a.m.–1 p.m.
  • Returning students move-in starting on Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 9 a.m.  Some students are granted permission to move in early. These early move-ins are approved by EMU departments. If you think you can move in earlier, please make the request through your EMU department.

Know what isn’t allowed before you move in

These items are prohibited in Residence Halls and Apartments:

  • Routers: for residents of Best, Brown, Buell, Downing, Munson, Phelps, Putnam, Sellers, Walton and the Towers (Hill, Hoyt, Pittman)
  • Pools of any type
  • Waterbeds
  • Candles, candle warmers, incense and wax/oil melting devices
  • Bunsen burners, alcohol burners
  • George Foreman grills, induction cook-tops, hot plates, electric woks and other direct heat source appliances (microwaves, toasters, and coffee pots are allowed)
  • Drapes/curtains
  • Space heaters
  • Air conditioning units*
  • Hookahs

*Excluding Cornell Courts, Westview, and 601 W. Forest apartments. This does not apply to residents who have an accommodation approved by the Disability Resource Center. In this case, the unit may not be window mounted, but must be portable and self-contained (see Campus Policies section regarding AC installation).

Important things to communicate with your roommate(s) before moving in:

  • Essentials for dorm decor
  • Who’s bringing the microwave & mini fridge
  • Items for cleaning
  • Allergies (Dairy, peanut butter, shellfish, and tree nuts are very common)
  • How do you feel about pets? Are you allergic to any?
  • Is it okay to share snacks? Are we expected to bring a lot of food before moving in?

Can I bring my pet?

“Only fresh-water, non-flesh eating, fish are allowed in the residence halls including The Village and Brown/Munson Halls. Fish tanks should not exceed 10 gallons. This does not apply to residents who need a service animal or therapy animal as defined on the Disability Resource Center webpage. Residents found in violation of this policy will be instructed to remove their animal and subject to referral to the University conduct process. Residents of Cornell Courts and Westview Apartments are permitted to have up to two cats for a fee. If a resident has a confirmed booking/assignment to live Cornell Courts or Westview and indicate they will be bringing a pet cat, they will be billed an additional $100 per semester. If they bring a pet cat and do not register the pet with Housing & Residence Life, they will be billed an additional $200 per semester for the term of your contract. Cats may only be kept with the consent of all residents of an apartment. The owner of the cat(s) will be responsible for any applicable cleaning fees or damages relating to the cat(s). Both residents must confirm their agreement by filling out the applicable paperwork with Housing & Residence Life. The only other type of pet allowed in Cornell and Westview is non-flesh eating fish in a tank that does not exceed 10 gallons. *Housing & Residence Life can remove a pet from a University residence hall or apartment, when it is determined that the pet is abandoned and/or abused, and turn it over to an appropriate animal care agency.” –Eastern Michigan University Housing & Residence Life

Where can I park?

If you are moving into or near the first year center (Putnam), your best bet for parking would be in green lot. However, if you did not already pay for your Fall parking permit (available on Park EMU) , make sure that you park near your residence hall with your hazard lights on. Otherwise, you will be ticketed.

Where can I get my key and check in?

  • As long as you have your Eagle ID, checking in is easy at the front desk of your residence hall. Without your ID issued from Eastern Michigan University, you will NOT be able to swipe into the building or enter your new living space.
  • Once the housing staff members confirm your identity, you will be assigned keys for your room and mail box. Then, a Resident Advisor will show you to your new living space and confirm the condition of the room.
  • Do NOT forget your state issued ID/License. Housing staff members also use this to verify your identity. If you do not own a state ID, you will NOT be able to borrow a moving cart or any equipment provided by your residence hall’s front desk.

What comes in must come out

Before you start packing, remember that whatever you bring inside of your dorm or apartment must be removed at the end of the year. As the school year progresses, you’re going to bring more things inside of your living space. Be careful about how many things you bring in your room because it will build as the semester progresses. If you are unsure about what to bring, check out EMU Housing and Residence Life’s checklist!

Stay Calm

I know that this process can be very overwhelming, but trust me, you can do it! Do your best to plan on what you need to bring in advance. There are many people here to help make the process of transitioning into a new space convenient for you. Moving into a new environment is the first step to meeting an entirely new group of people. Make the most out of your experience by taking the time to introduce yourself. I hope these tips have helped, good luck!!!

About the Writer

Hello! My name is Dominick Brooks and I am a junior majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. I truly enjoy working for the Division of Communications as a Go Social Team Member. When I am not working, I take pleasure in singing and performing on trumpet. I am the lead male vocalist for the EMU Jazz Ensemble and perform at venues in Ypsilanti, Detroit, Belleville, and Ann Arbor.